AAA Tourism recognises that accessibility to venues, particularly accommodation, is becoming increasingly important.
More that three and a half million Australians - around 19% of our population - have a physical, intellectual, sensory or other disability.
In addition, many other people experience a wide range of access challenges as they travel together as families, and as they begin to age.
As a response to this need, AAA Tourism has developed the first national program that aims to provide consumers with comprehensive information about the accessible facilities available at accommodation properties around Australia.
Key Features of the Program
- Operators will be provided with an Access Handbook and Self-Assessment Checklist which they will be required to complete themselves and send in photos of key structures as evidence.
- The program was developed in conjunction with Access consultants who have extensive experience in working with local councils and businesses across Australia, including Accommodation.
- There are a broad range of access challenges (from the extreme such as total vision or hearing loss or wheelchair assistance required, to the minor mobility issues such as the elderly needing some assistance climbing steps). Given this, consumers can use the information provided to assess whether that property is suitable for their particular requirements.
- This is not a "pass or fail" program as AAA Tourism acknowledges properties may not meet every criteria, however it is more an opportunity to provide access information. We hope that operators will use this book to assist them in developing their services in this area.
- There will be no fee required to participate in the program.
Benefits of Participating
Accommodation operators who participate in the program will receive the following benefits:
- a report containing the property’s accessibility information will be available on their online listing on the Auto Clubs' and AAA Tourism website.
- a copy of the report will be provided directly to the property to distribute to directly to customers
- the Access Information Program logo will appear on the property’s listing in publications produced by AAA Tourism.
- a copy of the logo will be provided to the property to use on their own website and marketing collateral.
How do I Participate?
Operators wishing to participate in the program have a choice of completing the form electronically, or by hard copy. Two versions of the Handbook and Checklist have been provided below (Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF).
The Microsoft Word Version has been broken up into Sections A and B so you can easily complete Section A electronically, while using Section B as support information. The PDF version has been provided if you would prefer to print off and use the document in one booklet.
More Information or Assistance
If you would like any further assistance, please click here to contact AAA Tourism Access Information via email or call 03 8601 2298.